Do you have what it takes to be a virtual assistant?
Well, maybe you really do. Congratulations! Welcome to the club. So next question, how long are you gonna last? Do you have what it takes to survive the competition? What personal growth and fulfillment do you see ahead?
Really, working online isn’t all about cost-cutting on commute and work clothes. Being a virtual isn’t about being free of the hassling boss and pressures of the job. You might be working at home, but it doesn’t mean fooling around at Facebook more often. Work is work and how you perform would mark your survival. Attitude and behavior towards work and employers matters, and would definitely stabilize – or destroy – you chances of making it good in an online career.
Intimidated already? Well, don’t be. Just stating facts here, girl! I just want to be honest, buddy.
Truth is, there are plenty of opportunities to make a decent life with being a virtual assistant. With sufficient skills and experience and an energetic willingness to learn and grow, you’d make it out there. Really! I’m looking at six others who stand testaments to this fact.
Ready to know if you have the top ten qualities of a virtual assistant? Check out below and discover…
1. Highly motivated. Every aspect of online work is faced with enthusiasm. Even with a faceless employer, a virtual assistant is motivated to be productive and render quality output. New tasks are stimulants and routines are seen as daily source of energies. A top quality online worker doesn’t wait for work to come; instead, work is sought.
2. Highly organized. Employers outsource work because they want things in order. Work results must be well presented, data and documents must be always in array, and tasks must be completed as expected. There’s very little room for “creative clutter” when you’re a virtual assistant. Your employer is bent on getting a well organized output.
3. Detail oriented. There are various processes that online workers must be observed to every point. It’s not about employers being perfectionists; virtual assistants just have to quickly grasp all details, no matter how small. Communicating through the web and struggling with time zones already limits time between the service providers and their clients. To miss out on important parts of a process would get things really complicated. Read through instructions, learn more via other sources of information and study how things must be done. Then you get the details perfected.
4. Have clear, realistic goals. Are you in it for fun? To veer away from boredom? Or is it solely for money? So what do you really want out of being an online worker? The decision to be a virtual assistant is in itself a goal. As any worker, a freelance service provider must know his specific objectives, keep it realistic and know ahead what must be learned. At the same time, goals mist be balanced with present skills, capacity to learn and the time and resources which could be afforded for an online work. Know what you want but base it on what you can do or will commit to do.
5. Manages time excellently. Clients want their money’s worth so excellent time management in their virtual assistant is highly demanded. Just because you’re online doesn’t mean you spend half the work sked checking your Facebook or personal mails. For every hour you’re paid to do, you put it to good use. This goes for the rest of your home, social life and other areas. Time management is key to being a reliable worker. Besides, time is gold so manage it well so your online tasks aren’t affected.
6. Knowledgeable. When you apply for a virtual assistant job, see to it that you know what the employment entails. If you know little about social media marketing, double your efforts in learning. Check ahead what skills are required; learn and be an expert in all areas. You’re sure to rank among high-caliber virtual assistants if you know a lot.
7. Practical and creative. A handy person is one who knows how to make do of what’s available. An artistic and innovative person would spice up what’s available. Any virtual assistant who could do both, or one at a time, would sure be a client’s angel. Creatively crafted auto-responders, emails and sales letters would put any virtual assistant in the client’s list of favorites. When allowed, the employee could spice up marketing campaign materials to earn good marks with the boss. They want real people to work, not a pre-programmed automaton.
8. Great communication skills. Most online workers know how to speak and write good English. Sadly, it’s not just grasping of the language that’s needed. Most virtual assistants would be handling various clients with a wide range of concerns and that’s when effective communication skills are most needed. True, great writers are manna from heaven for employers. But all works must be able to convey to specific audience the goals, products and services. Thus, excellent communications is expected of a virtual assistant. Don’t just be a person; be personable – to your boss, the clients and all others you’d come across in line with virtual work.
9. Professionalism. An online worker doesn’t add migraines to their employers. With work, one must be reliable and skillful; with client-worker relations, they must be honest and open-minded. Apart from punctuality and excellent output, a top quality virtual assistant doesn’t let biases, over sensitivity and criticisms get in the way of work. Feedbacks must be well-noted and accepted; compliments must be thanked and not abused; and most of all, work mindset must be always focused on excellent performance.
10. Experience and equipments. A top caliber virtual assistant must possess quality work experience in the field. Even the best writer or accountant wouldn’t fare too well when they work online for the first time. There are processes strictly applicable to online work and could only be fully comprehended when one gets the experience. At the same time, virtual assistants, like all other professionals providing online services, they must have dependable internet connection. Their computer must be updated, contains important programs and software usually needed for internet work, and they must have two or three options for communications.
Now, if you have all ten, you really didn’t need to read all the way down to here. You’re perfect for the career! In fact, I’d like to have you on my team!
If you got 8 to nine, you’re gonna make it big in the field. Push a little bit more to be perfect. If you have between 6 to 7 characteristics, you’re likely to grow and learn, and outshine any competition in the future. If you have just 3 or 5, try to start with the simplest online tasks and learn your way up. Stay positive. With just one or two… Hmmm… Would you like some help?