After many years in this profession, one realization is that virtual assistants need to handle stress very well. There are so many stressors that we deal with each passing day, often causing us to be unproductive and disorganized. Apart from deadlines and heavier workload, we have deal with varying time zones, two or more clients or employers, and learning new tricks to cope with work requirements. To top it all, many VAs have day jobs or work-at-home peeps who only got four to six hours for their online gigs. Understandably, stress becomes a major part of the day.
To remain productive at work, virtual assistants must learn how to cope with expected stress and those that puts sudden nervous tension. Here’s some great daily stress busters that helps:
1. Get corner conducive to working. It’s important to have all your needed systems in one place. With your PC, phone and all other needed materials within arm’s reach, work becomes more efficient. Without clutter, any form of distractions and a quiet area, your workplace gives you the space to focus on work. So get a corner of your house and get it organized so it will be conducive for an effective online worker. With that, the most daily stressors are already avoided.
2. Get good meals all the time. Food is energy that fuels your mind and body. Don’t skip meals or forego a healthy glass of water or fruit juice just because you have to finish that file conversion task. Power your productivity with regular meals and drinks. This way, you won’t be stressed with hunger, lack of focus and energy or be too physically weak to meet deadlines.
3. Relax and take short breaks. Discipline yourself get off your swivel chair once you start getting tired or feel discomfort. It means your body needs to get more air and movement. So get up and stretch, take a walk to drink water or just go outside and relax your eyes, fingers and butt from too much work pressure. In the end, ten minutes of relaxing will give you a half-hour energy to do more work.
4. Track your work and time. A great chunk of stressors come from too much work load and not having enough time. Never bite off more than you could chew and take projects that could be well handled for the period. Also avoid side tasks that are actually just a waste of time such as going online and checking mails, Facebook and Twitter. They are strong magnets to losing precious hours at work. Find time for social networks after work is completed. This way, you don’t get stressed with the not-so-important stuff.
5. Do it right now. When we put off something for later, it piles up to the list of stressors. If you need to get instructions clarified, point it out to your client ASAP; if you need to submit reports before the weekend, do it; if you need to take a walk outside because your eyes seems strained, do it now. Never put off the best step to take, never procrastinate with tasks and never fail to get yourself that move for your health. Doing it now could save you from the ultimate stress that gets you sick or lose desire to work.
So there! I’ve just explained the key points of how to deal with daily stress in the virtual assistant sphere. Remember, a happy worker is not one who doesn’t get stressed; a happy worker is one who handles stress very well. Be happy!